Sunday, November 13, 2011

Anabel

I am not really sure how to write this post, or even if it is necessary.But I think it is. Something that happens like this doesn't just erase from your memory, rather it stays and lingers like an unwanted guest. It has been a week sense the accident and it is still hard to wrap my brain around it. Sometimes I simply still cant believe it.

A week ago I was working the desk in Nelson and many young ladies gathered to pray and wait for the news to come back. I knew one of my "babies" or "girls" from last year was on that bus, as well as one of my beloved camper babies from the summer. They were on their way to the Medina Children s home to do their annual service project. I waited to hear back to make sure that my baby was safe, and upon hearing that she was I'm sorry to say that i genuinely felt a sense of relief because the grief wouldn't have to be mine to deal with, but rather I would slip into the more comfortable role of a support system. Because after all it never happens to YOU or someone that YOU know.

The news came crashing like a freight train that I didn't see coming. No. She has to be fine they said she was... the rest of that moment is of a blur or tears, sobs, phone calls and text messages.

My babies from last year were texting asking where i was, if i was coming to the candlelight service and that they wanted to gather when it was over. We gathered at the Lady Chairs to remember a girl they grew to know as sister. We cried. But we also laughed and rejoiced at the life that she lived and all of the goofy things she did and the joy that she brought us. It amazed me how we came together through this time, 2CE is very much still a family.

We came to the unanimous conclusion that she was simply one word-- Joy. Wherever she went she brought immense joy. She was ALWAYS laughing. You would think she was one of the 'quiet ones' but after awhile her laughter and the laughter of her beautiful friends could be heard all of the way down the hall. Joy.

I remember her coming up the hallway and giving me the most beautiful smile and a 'How ya doin?!' and she would always respond cheerfully. There was simply no unpleasant thought or feeling. Joy.

I remember in one of the first weeks of school i heard a song blaring from down the hallway and i decided to check it out. Anabel and Abigail were trying to learn the Shakira dance to 'wakka wakka' arfica song. It was so funny and it is still one of my absolute favorite memories of these girls. Joy.



She loved to thrift shop and her pride and joy was her green 5 dollar sweatshirt from walmart. I remember when she got that-- you would have thought she hit the jackpot. Joy.

At our Christmas Party she wrote to santa about her biology test, telling him that she really had been a good girl (and i can testify to the amount of studying she did). And she made a flag out of her christmas cookie. Joy.



She was always ready to help a person, share the gospel, or share a smile. Her desire was to change the world. Some would say that her life was cut short, but I honestly beleive that she accomplished her goal-- she ignited a passion that cannot be put out. The love she gave to people and the heart she had-- it changed people. The world is a far better place because it knew Anabel.

I am a better person because I knew Anabel.

There is no place that she would rather be than sitting at our Lords feet, resting in his perfect joy, his perfect peace and his kingdom. She was looking forward to it and thinking about her being where she ultimately wanted to be gives me a joy despite some of the pain and hurt.

Our sweet sister and friend-Anabel. You have been such a blessing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the JOY Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Months later, you have spread more joy by sharing your heart and pictures. The Lord is glorified again.

    ReplyDelete